Respite Care and Services
Caring long-term for a loved one is often very fulfilling and meaningful. We understand it can also be stressful and overwhelming. Caregivers often believe they should be able to “do it all,” but they need time for rest, self-care and other personal activities.
Our respite program benefits our community members as well as their caregivers, by providing new opportunities for socialization and a change of scenery. We are happy to give our valued community members a little extra care and attention, so caregivers can take the time they need.
Respite Benefits for Caregivers
- More quality time with other friends and family
- A chance to relax and take a break
- Ability to take care of errands such as shopping, exercising, getting a haircut or going to the doctor
- Comfort and peace of mind knowing that the loved one is spending time with our caring staff members who are attuned to their needs
Respite Benefits for Community Members
- Quality care when the primary caregiver is away
- Interaction with others having similar experiences
- Spending time in a safe, supportive environment
- Participating in activities designed to match personal abilities and needs
Planning Respite Care
- Involve your loved one. When planning for time off from caregiving duties, make sure to keep your loved one in the loop. Get their input on deciding how much time you will be away and who will fill in for you when you’re gone. Be sure to explain how they will benefit when you are more relaxed and refreshed. Assure them that they will also reap rewards from socializing with other people.
- Assess your needs. Make a list of what care will be needed in your absence. Also decide if the respite care provider will need any special skills or training to be able to stay with your loved one. If so, understand that your options for respite caregivers may be more limited.
- Stay organized. Use a calendar to keep track of appointments and send requests to friends and family. Don’t forget to include time for yourself and note it on the calendar.